Saturday, September 8, 2012

Eating For Your Bones


The bone is a very essential component of the skeletal system, and plays an essential role in support, protection of the body vital organs, movement, production of body blood cells and mineral storage. For the bone to be able to perform these above functions it has to posses the following characteristics; it have to be light for the body to be able to carry it along in movement, be strong to support and protect the body and above all be healthy.

To maintain a healthy, strong and light bone the first thing that comes to mind is “diet”, yes the food you eat have a great way of controlling the general look and function of your bone. Whether you will end up with bone conditions like osteoporosis, pagets disease, osteoarthritis etc depends partly on your dieting

So here is a list of do’s and don’ts if you are eating for a healthy bone

Excessive intake of protein can be a don’t, protein especially red meats are known to produce sulfates which can displace calcium in the bone and cause a decrease of bone density
Excessive intake of Table salts and all sodium containing foods is not advocated for, for they can indirectly reduce bone calcium

Excessive intake of caffeine is known to reduce calcium absorption, so mind your intake of energy drinks and coffees
Excessive alcohol intake affects vitamin D and calcium absorption
Excess soda is not allowed


Now the do's.

Eat food rich in calcium example green leafy vegetable, milk (not in excess)                                 

Eat foods rich in vitamin k examples; spinach, onions, cabbage, mustard greens, lettuce etc
Go for vitamin D, this has its main source as sunlight and also can be gotten from: cod liver oil, mushrooms, sardines etc

A diet rich in magnesium is also advocated for, magnesium can be found in broccoli, raw plantain, peanuts, spinach etc
A good diet of potassium is also needed to retain calcium in the body; this potassium can be derived from foods like avocado peers, apricots, cocoa powder, seeds of pumpkin and sunflower.

A strict adherence to the above will play a part in building up a strong light and healthy bone.

14 comments:

  1. Great!

    "A diet rich in magnesium is also advocated for, magnesium can be found in broccoli, raw plantain, peanuts, spinach etc"


    www.whitedrum.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woow this is a great information, this is the first time am seeing a female health blogger from nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really useful info. Amazing how often spinach crops up in things to eat. It really is a superfood. I'm going to add it to my evening meal tonight. Popeye really knew his stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice article, you hit the nail on the head. Many of the items you listed is what I incorporate into my life to assist my healthy living and strengthen my bones.
    I get my calcium from: Figs, Kale, Okra, Dandelion Greens, Mustard Greens, Tahini, Broccoli, Almomds, Garbanzo Beans.

    ReplyDelete

  5. U have Such a Nice blog to provides info About Medicare
    For more Health and dental treatments please
    emergency dental treatment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, the content given is really useful and very much healthy for health if someone implement that. Please provide some more posts about Reflex nutrition

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate this article. As, I always want to know foods that will help me remain healthy. I found the recommendations in this article useful. I will be incorporating the foods into my diet. Already, I have cut down soda and salt in take. But, will keep pushing for more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use donor eggs. I knew we have to try herbal made medicine. I was terrified. I didn't know how to go about it and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended me to Dr Itua herbal medicine in Western African. I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country and I was afraid with shame I must say I thought it was a little bit...wild? Anyway she convinced me to at least check it out. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses Natural Herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. I and My Husband give a try and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. The doctors and staff were so confident and hopeful they projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua and Lori My Dear Friend. Don’t be afraid and just do it! Try Dr itua herbal medicine today and sees different in every situaton.Dr Itua Contact Info...Whatsapp+2348149277967/drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua have cure for the following diseases.All types of cancer,Liver/Kidney inflamatory,Fibroid,Infertility.Diabetes,Herpes Virus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
    System booster supplement

    ReplyDelete