Friday, August 9, 2013

World Breastfeeding Week, How Effective?

 
World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated every year from 1 to 7 August in more than 170 countries to encourage breastfeeding and improve the health of babies around the world. It commemorates the Innocenti Declaration made by WHO and UNICEF policy-makers in August 1990 to protect, promote and support breastfeeding. 
 
2013 World Breastfeeding Week has just been concluded, but the BIG  question is, are the OBJECTIVES achievable?
 
In the spirit of Breastfeeding support, an independent survey was carried out in FCT-Abuja by Nutrition Alert to ascertain how much support/encouragement mothers are getting. Over 90% of the mothers involved in this survey are working mothers in private organizations. The survey findings showed that many mothers are indeed aware of the benefits of breastfeeding their children, and a majority would want to breastfeed exclusively if they had the support of their employers.
 
It was alarming to discover that a lot of the mothers in the survey resumed work only 6 weeks after delivery and had to rely on infant formulas because their work places are not friendly for babies and their schedule does not allow time for them to express breast milk and they do not get adequate rest to enable lactation.
The sharp decline in breastfeeding rates, and practices in the weeks following delivery, particularly exclusive breastfeeding is not only as a result of lack of support from the home or the community. When a mother is a sole or a joint bread winner, support from only the home and community is not enough. Policies that will force employers to support breastfeeding mothers too are mostly need. When they are lacking, formulas becomes the mother’s closest ally and exclusive breastfeeding will be just a dream.

6 comments:

  1. Six weeks for the average maternity leave is really quite alarming and appalling, particularly when the role of the mother in the home and particularly to the newborn is taken into consideration. Most organizations are out strictly to make their money and so more often than not these days, the issue of work-life balance and the need for at least one parent to have more of an active role in the lives and upbringing of their children is fast becoming a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips. I will be sharing this with all of my friends! I like this post because it is informative and helpful to all readers. I would like to revisit this post. If you planning buy the wholesale cell accessories or lg stylo light up case then please visit WholeCellUSA and get some discount we offer as in flux samsung s7 and other all type mobile phones accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mothers of these day needed to put a lot into practice...breast feeding is a key to health baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use donor eggs. I knew we have to try herbal made medicine. I was terrified. I didn't know how to go about it and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended me to Dr Itua herbal medicine in Western African. I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country and I was afraid with shame I must say I thought it was a little bit...wild? Anyway she convinced me to at least check it out. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses Natural Herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. I and My Husband give a try and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. The doctors and staff were so confident and hopeful they projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua and Lori My Dear Friend. Don’t be afraid and just do it! Try Dr itua herbal medicine today and sees different in every situaton.Dr Itua Contact Info...Whatsapp+2348149277967/drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua have cure for the following diseases.All types of cancer,Liver/Kidney inflamatory,Fibroid,Infertility.Diabetes,Herpes Virus.

    ReplyDelete